17 September 2009

Polymorph and Valenti

A couple of years ago I saw Robert Valenti, an owner of a piercing studio, being interviewed by Andrew Denton, and I have been keen to meet him since then. He seemed so personable, interesting and intelligent. I wasn’t too worried about going and asking him to do the interview, as I thought it would probably be a little stroke to his ego that someone saw him on television and wanted to find out more about him.

Before I spoke to him, and then even more when we were doing the interview, I recognised how many assumptions and stereotypes I adhered to. One of the first things I said was how I was surprised at how lovely he was on Andrew Denton. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I thought to myself; ‘Why should I be surprised that he was nice?’ I like to think that I don’t often judge people, and I try to steer clear of stereotypes and clichés, so the interview was really beneficial for me, because I can see how I am always forming opinions in my head. I spoke openly to him about this, that I was surprised at myself for believing the stereotype that piercing and tattoo artists are scary bikers– and he was so understanding, and part of his reason for modifying his body the way he sees fit is to shock people and prove when they do talk to him, that he is not that much of a ‘freak show.’

I’m going to put up the article I wrote in two bits… because I think it may be a bit long for one read

p.s be sure to look at the website of the piercing studio when I put up the link. Hectic photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment